The restoration of the Scalasaig minor light is making good progress and we expect the completed light chamber to be returned to the island in March 2015. The Trust plan to re-erect the light as a feature in Scalasaig with information panels giving some background history to the light which was originally erected in 1903 by David A Stevenson. We also plan to create a “lighthouse trail” with directions to the optic which is a central feature in the walled garden at Colonsay House and originally came from the Rubh a’Mhail lighthouse on the sound of Islay. The other lighthouse to feature which is visible from the Heritage centre at Port Mor is Dubh Artach some 16 miles west of Colonsay.
Colonsay, the jewel of the Hebrides, is about 10 miles long and 2 miles wide with 135 friendly inhabitants, and little more than 2 hours from Oban by our modern and very comfortable ferry. Our outstanding natural scenery is rivaled only by the wealth and diversity of our flora and fauna, and our archaeological sites are of international importance.